What better way to celebrate the February 18th birthday of Alessandro Volta, the inventor of the battery, than with a positively fascinating collection of Top Ten Lead Battery Facts.
- 1. Lead batteries provide more than 70% of the world's rechargeable power.
- 2. In 2020, lead batteries are projected to account for nearly 90% of the backup power needed to keep our highly connected and mobile lives running smoothly.
- 3. Lead batteries are the best example of a circular economy, according to the World Economic Forum and the MIT Center of Transportation.
- 4. In the U.S., an amazing 99% of all lead batteries are recycled (most recycled consumer product), which keeps more than 130 million lead batteries from landfills each year.
- 5. U.S. lead battery manufacturers source approximately 70% of the needed lead from domestic recycling facilities and a new lead battery is typically comprised of more than 80% recycled material.
- 6. Lead batteries power more than 275 million U.S. vehicles, including hybrids and EVs.
- 7. Start-stop technology using lead batteries is eliminating 4.5 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions annually in the U.S.
- 8. The lifespan of a lead battery has increased by nearly 30 percent over the last 20 years.
- 9. Lead batteries contribute $26.3 billion to the U.S. economy each year.
- 10. Lead battery manufacturers and recyclers provide nearly 25,000 direct jobs and support over 92,000 total jobs in the U.S.
For more detail, click LINK to jump